Hey guys! Happy FRI-YAY! Today makes for the very last Friday of March, can you believe it? It’s the kickoff to the weekend and I couldn’t be more excited! I hope you’ve had the best week and have an even better weekend ahead of you! Thanks for stopping by the blog today! I’m linking up with my fellow blogging girls at Running on Happy & Fairytales and Fitness today for Friday 5 2.0! Today is all about 5 ways to make a home gym work for you!
You guys know I’ve been a fan of home workouts for a really long time now. I love being able to hop into my living room or into the backyard (wherever, really) to get my workout in! No pressure of having to get my stuff ready for the gym, no driving around, and I have endless water/music at my fingertips to keep me going. For some reason, years ago, I used to get stuck in the thoughts that you can’t get in a REALLY good workout at home. I thought, “there’s no way I’ll even break a sweat.” Well….I couldn’t have been more wrong. So, I thought it would be a fun post to share with you guys–how to make your home gym work for you! It’s one of my favorite places to workout, and I know it can be for you too!
Let’s just jump right in!
1) Get your equipment! No, nothing crazy fancy is required–it’s YOUR home gym, remember? Make it what you want! In my personal home gym, I like to keep an exercise ball, free weights (usually 5-15 pound dumbbells), yoga mat, foam roller and a few other recovery tools, a few towels and an exercise band or two.
2) Designate a specific space for your home gym. By making a specific area your home gym workout area, it forms more of a serious mindset when you go into it each day. You know when you walk into an actual gym and everyone is in their “workout mode”? That’s exactly how you want to feel when you step into your own home gym area. That way, anyone in your house knows–when you’re there–it’s time to sweat! No if’s-and’s or but’s about it!
3) Don’t forget your motivation! Hang up any and all motivational inspiration you need to keep you going strong! I love the way “@nycrunningmama” on IG has her race bibs and motivational posters all around her for her home gym. Talk about inspiration, right?
4) Feel free to take it outside too! I love when grabbing my laptop and some free weights and heading outside for a good sweat session too! Fresh air does the body and the mind some serious good! Have fun with it and make it something you actually enjoy doing, instead of falling into a rut of repetition over and over again. That’s where you can really get off the fitness train, quick, fast and in a hurry!
5) You didn’t think I’d forget the actual workouts, did you? Find a library of workouts to do for your at-home sweat sessions! I like a variety of different places, like Beachbody On Demand (my favorite!), YouTube (there are a TON of options here, here and here!) or any of your favorite workout DVD’s too! The options are endless with the internet being filled with all different types of workouts to choose from, so you can change it up everyday! Yoga, cardio, arms, legs, abs–you name it! I promise, you won’t get bored and neither will your muscles!
When it comes to working out, do something you enjoy! Don’t feel like you HAVE to do what everyone else is doing to get your sweat in! I know it can be intimidating to head to the gym, but that’s where a good home gym can come into play and rock your fitness world! It’s totally possible to break a sweat and get your fitness on right in the comfort of your own home, I promise!
I hope these tips can help you realize that bringing the gym to you is totally do-able and success is totally within reach!
Now, it’s just a matter of finding the motivation to get off the couch and into those workout clothes–right? That’s another story for another day my friends! 😉
Enjoy your Friday and have a fabulous weekend!!
Questions for YOU today:
Do you have a home gym? What do you like to keep on hand for your workouts?
Any Easter plans this weekend?
What’s your favorite part about Spring?